К основному контенту

INTRODUCING OUR BLOG: READING ENGLISH BOOKS TOGETHER

'Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body', said Joseph Addison, an English essayist, poet, and dramatist. I do agree. Moreover, I am convinced that reading is a tremendously enjoyable way of boosting your vocabulary and honing your English skills. So as you will have understood by now this blog run by me and my friends is for learners of English who know enough to function confidently in most settings but still would like to maintain and even improve what they already know.

The main goal of the blog is to promote reading as a rewarding activity, as a way for you not only to go further as a student of English but also to mature as an individual via getting valuable insights into what language is like, what sort of people famous writers like Jack London and Agatha Christie were, what messages art (painting, sculpture, architecture) gets over to us.

I am a professional English teacher and I have successfully practised reading English books with my students and I have seen books change them because when you have read a book, you come with your ideas to the class but other people have a totally different perception and in the heat of the argument the most profound thoughts are born.

I want to transfer what I successfully do in the classroom to the web, to stimulate worldwide online discussions of the best works of English and American literature. I am helped by my friends, teachers of English and English language enthusiasts, who are as passionate about the language as I am.

To cut a long story short, read this blog if 

you are tired of coursebooks and want to look at and discuss new, thought-provoking topics

you have an avid interest in art, history, philosophy, literature


you believe that reading British and American fiction is a sure recipe for enhancing your language skills

you feel like exploring the finer points of English grammar

you are keen on learning English idioms, proverbs and phrasal verbs

you want to have no doubts as to which word to choose: base or basis, present or represent, committee or commission etc.
Image Credit: Disclaimer
This blog includes only texts written by me as well as by my friends but we use images we have found on the web, mostly in google pictures. If you find an image of yours and want it to be removed, or would like us to give credit to you as the author of this image, please let us know and we will be happy to do it.


 

Комментарии

Популярные сообщения из этого блога

Etymology: Crossing the Rubicon

The Rubicon is now a small shallow river in northeastern Italy. Yet many centuries ago it marked a boundary between Julius Caesar, govenor of Gaul, and Julius Caesar, the Emperor of Rome.  Read our story to find out how one of the most important decisions in world history was made. You will also learn the link between the words Rubicon, ruby and rubric. In his 2005 song ‘Streets of Love’ the British rock musician Mick Jagger sings:  ‘You're awful bright, you're awful smart  I must admit you broke my heart  The awful truth is really sad I must admit I was awful bad While lovers laugh and music plays I stumble by and I hide my pain The lights are lit, the moon is gone I think I've CROSSED THE RUBICON…’ The final line ‘I think I’ve crossed the Rubicon’ might not be clear to you if you do not know the story of the Roman general and statesman Julius Caesar starting the three-year civil war that eventually transformed the Roman Republic into the Roman Empire....

English Proverbs and Idioms Describing Extroverts and Introverts

Our world seems to be biased in favour of extroverts, those active, sociable people radiating confidence and energy. At work they easily take on leadership roles and actively engage in a host of activities. In their free time extroverts are brilliant conversationalists, the life and soul of any party and tireless generators of exciting ideas about where to go and what to do. We tend to admire extroverts and seek their friendship. What idioms and phrases do we use to describe extraverts? They are LIVE WIRES, which means they are lively and full of energy. They  have A BUBBLY PERSONALITY, which means they are always happy, friendly and eager to do things. They  WEAR THEIR HEART ON THEIR SLEEVE, which means they act the way they feel. Our world seems to be biased in favour of extroverts, those active, sociable people radiating confidence and energy. At work they easily take on leadership roles and actively engage in a host of activities. ...

HISTORY OF ART: Vincent Van Gogh. Sunflowers.

HISTORY OF ART: Vincent Van Gogh.  Sunflowers. Interest in Van Gogh's 'Sunflowers' was whipped up when in 1987 the Japanese fire-insurance company Yasuda paid $39.9 million for the painting below. Those curious as to what was remarkable about the painting that fetched such a hefty price found out that it was one of a series of sunflower paintings done by the Dutch painter Vincent Van Gogh in the period from August to September 1888.   Van Gogh painted the Sunflowers series in a mood of sunny optimism when he was waiting for the arrival of the avant-garde painter, Paul Gaugin. They had rented a studio in Arles, in southern France and were planning to work together. The sunflowers were meant to be a sign of friendship and welcome. Van Gogh hoped that Gaugin would lead a community of artists that would be established in Arles - The Studio of the South. Van Gogh was contemptuous of the art trade and thought that artists could best fulfil their potential if they did...